My husband was working as a police officer in Chicago when we got married. Every night when he came home from work all he wanted to eat was pizza. But Pizza Hut, Dominos, and frozen pizza just didn’t compare to the deep dish pizza his mom used to make when he was a little boy.
So, I set out to make the perfect Chicago deep-dish pizza. If he was putting his life on the line every day, that’s the least I could to repay him. Every weekend I worked hard to figure out what I could do to make the pizza better, but for over five years none of the pizzas ever came close.
When he decided to advance his career and work with a Chicago DUI lawyer, I knew I had to work even harder to perfect the recipe for him. Finally, after we had been married for 8 years, I had it right. I remember being so excited to tell him we were having pizza for dinner that night. He took one bite of the pie and his eyes widened with delight!
It was one of the happiest memories of our marriage, believe it or not!
A Chicago deep-dish pizza recipe like this should be available for every family to enjoy, so when you make this recipe, say a silent thank you to law enforcement officers across the world who dedicate their lives to keeping us safe. Enjoy!
For the Pizza Sauce:
2 cups of tomato sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Pizza Crust:
1 cube of yeast
1 cup of cold butter
1 cup of warm water
1 cup of butter (melted)
½ cup of corn flour
4 cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of caster sugar
1 ½ teaspoons of salt
2 cups mozzarella cheese
2 cups parmesan cheese
- Starting with the crust, combine melted butter, yeast, water, corn flour, all purpose flour, sugar, and salt together. Mix until creamy.
- Set the dough ball aside and leave in a well-oiled bowl for approximately three hours or until it has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, beat and spread into the shape of a rectangle. Spread remaining butter over the dough and fold into itself.
- Roll dough into a ball and set inside the fridge, covered, for at least 90 minutes.
- Now to start on the sauce. Heat the tomato sauce and cook with the chili pepper. Once that’s done, you can add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 400℉.
- Take your dough out of the fridge and spread it out into the shape of a circle. Place on pizza pan.
- Add your tomato sauce to the top of your dough.
- Spread olive oil over the crust edges so they become crispy when cooking.
- Add mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, pepperoni, and sausage over the tomato sauce.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the edges of the crust are crispy.
- Remove from the oven, cool, and serve!